Wednesday, May 29, 2024

Fernie and I

 By kiki

About three weeks ago, my son Fernie fell as he was getting out of bed (he has pugilistic dementia and Parkinson's disease, and he had been falling about once a day for about the last month before this fall). My wife Connie and I helped him get back on his feet, and we told him to go to bed as he did not need to get up (he didn't have any doctor or haircut appointments). I stayed with him until he was safely back in bed. About twenty minutes later, I opened his door to check on him, and I found him on the floor again; by that time, Connie was into a well-deserved nap, so I helped the former #1 world junior lightweight (130 pounds) boxing contender, who now weights about 200 pounds to his feet. It was a struggle, but he got up for a brief second before his legs caved under him, and this time, he took me down with him; I landed hard on my back on the bottom part of an aluminum portable closet fame with Fernie and his 200 pounds on top of me. We might have made a loud noise when we went down because we woke Connie up from her nap. I kept saying to her, "Call 911 because I think that I broke my back. But when I saw that I could move my legs, I told her to forget 911. The following day, I could barely move, never mind trying to get out of bed. Fernie and I stayed in our respective beds for the day. The following day, I couldn't move without screaming out in pain. At about mid-morning, Fernie got up and told Connie that he was going to shower; Connie told him to be sure to use the shower chair and to be careful. He has never been the type of person who likes to be told what to do, so no, he didn't use the shower chair. Connie's yelling woke me up from a painful nap. "Fernie fell in the shower, and he is out cold." Hearing that, I jumped out of bed. Forgetting my pain, I went into the shower, and sure enough, I found Fernie out cold. I yelled at Connie to call 911, and within minutes, the 911 crew arrived, and they took Fernie to the ER; he was admitted to the hospital. The hospital doctor did tell Connie that Fernie's falls were caused by Parkinson's disease; about three days later, after making sure that he was okay from the shower fall, he was transferred to a nearby nursing home, where he is still residing.

I didn't go to the ER till two weeks after the fall, and the ex-rays show no broken bones on my back, but it still hurts awful when I stand up, even for just a few minutes. I, too, have Parkinson's disease.
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment