Friday, January 20, 2012

"The Rabbits"

By kiki

Everybody in the Simons Brickyard back in the middle of the last century had some kind of animals, cows, goats, pigs, chickens, rabbits. Most of the animals were fed to be eaten later. We had a goat, chickens, and rabbits. One of my daily chores was to get up early in the mornings and feed the critters. One Saturday during the summer of 1950, my friend Beto's brother, Kelly, got married, and that night they had a big wedding party. The following morning, I got up at my usual early hour to feed the critters, I fed the chickens and the goat first, but when I got to the rabbit's cages, I found them empty. So I went inside the house and woke Pops up.

"Pops, we don't have rabbits anymore."

What happened, Mijo?"

"Don't know, Pops, but the cages are empty."

"I'll find out," said Pops

He woke my older sister Rachel up.

"Rachel, did you go to Kelly's wedding party?"

"Yes," said Rachel

"Did they feed you?" asked Pops

"Yes," 

"What did you eat." 

"Don't know for sure, but it tasted like RABBIT," said Rachel.

No comments:

Post a Comment