Friday, July 5, 2013

"What a Racket!"

By kiki

I had a good racket going when I was a kid living in the Simons Brickyard. In the hot summer months, the brickyard workers would start working early in the mornings, 4:00AM, I believe it was. Their first break was at 7:00AM, which was their breakfast break. 6:00AM, on the dot, I would get my wagon, wagon that I had built out of an orange wooden crate, start out of the house with a breakfast with coffee that my mom had fixed for my Pop and me. I would then go to some of the other workers' houses and pick up their breakfasts to be delivered. In every home that I would go in to pick up a worker's breakfast, I would find the lady of the house hunched over a table making tortillas. The hand snapping noise of the tortilla maker would blend in beautifully with the Mexicana music Maria Ellen Salinas would be playing on her early morning radio show. I would eat a tortilla with hot salsa at every pick-up. After picking up all the breakfasts, I would head out to "las máquinas," where the workers would be hungrily waiting for me. I would drop off the worker's breakfasts first and save my Pop's to the last so that I could have a hot breakfast of tacos and coffee with him.

It was an excellent little racket that allowed me to make money to go to the movie show and gave me time to spend with Pops at his work at the brickyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment