Saturday, December 13, 2014

Our Sixty-Second Wedding Anniversary

                 Connie at 15 years old, and I, at about 20 years old.

By kiki

I added some pictures to this piece that I picked at random of Connie and me at different times of our marriage, times that saw us grow old together.

Connie and I were kids when we were married on my 18th birthday, December 13, 1954, and here sixty-two years later, we still sometimes act like kids. But, of course, Connie will tell you that only I act like a kid, and she might be right. Although Connie also likes to say that I am in my second childhood, I tell her that I haven't gotten out of my first childhood yet!.

Connie at 15 years old and pregnant with our first progeny, daughter, Linda - 1956.

                           Us celebrating a mid-1960 New Year's Eve.

 Sixty-two years ago, Connie and I started a journey without knowing where we were headed. All we knew was that there was a life out there for us as a couple; where that life would take us, we didn't know, but we forged forward anyway, sometimes not too steadily because of my immaturity. And like most marriages, ours had its up and downs, but in the end, thanks to Connie's strength, it all worked out blissfully for us, and I thank her for that. Of course, we're not in sync all the time, and of course, we lose our temple and patience sometimes, but we are more forgiving because we've built a foundation of talking and listening that continues to anchor everything we do. I don't always agree with her, and she doesn't always agree with me, but that's okay. Because we respect each other and we've grown, we listen, and more importantly, we learn from each other. And through it all, she still laughs her beautiful laughter at some of my corny jokes.


                                 Us at the 1984 Los Angeles Toy Run.
 
In the sixty-two years we've been together, we've experienced happy and sad times. We enjoyed happy times when the kids were born and suffered sad times at the loss of a newborn child, a grandchild, and a great-grandchild. But we take solace in that those little Angels are looking over us. Losing our parents was also hard on both of us.…. We were like new parents when the grandchildren and now great-grandchildren started arriving. We now have so many of both that I've lost count. But I will say I love them all, whatever that count might be!!

At a 1990 company Christmas party

 The day in 2004 of my sister Mary Ellen's funeral


A mid-1990 Christmas

Connie and I may not agree on everything, but we've become two souls with a single thought. Two hearts that beat as one…Now, we laugh, weep and mourn the loss of loved ones as one being….And now that we have reached the twilight of our journey, we can look back at some very cherished, along with some bittersweet moments, and say, hell yes, we made it!.... Love you, Babe, and thank you for your devotion to our marriage…Happy Sixty-Second Anniversary, Babe, and I look forward to spending the next sixty-two years with you!! She'll probably say with a mischievous twinkle in her eyes, "hell no, 62 years is enough!" She loves to pull my chain that way, and I love it.

We got old

December 13 is now a bittersweet day for us. Yes, we celebrate our anniversary and my birthday on that date, but December 13 is when my older sister Rachel Baltazar-Egan, passed. So we will have a moment of silence on this, the 4th anniversary of her passing, to honor her.

10 comments:

  1. Wowie kazowie! Beautiful Don Kiki...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to you and your wife Connie for a life well lived, together! And wishing you both many more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well lived, well loved! You put it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful story of family. Very inspirational of what is truly important in life, love and family Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations to you and Connie on 61 years together.
    It does take work to make a marriage work, but it is all worth it.
    You both have been blessed many times over.

    ReplyDelete