Sunday, May 24, 2015

Time of War

By kiki


As I sat in bed watching war movies this Memorial Day of 2015, I was reminded of those long-ago days during WWII when my late sister Rachel and I would sit by the window during the blackouts at our house in Simons. We would sit and watch as the searchlights were trained on unidentified aircraft. Once the plane was identified, we were allowed to turn our lights back on…I remember all the young men from the barrio walking around the brickyard in tight press service uniforms and spit-shine boots while on leave. I remember most boys attending Vail Elementary School wearing army or navy caps. I remember my uncle Florentino giving me an army cap and a heavy wool overcoat; of course, the coat was too big for me, but I wore it anyway. At the war's end, all the young men who made it back home went to the brickyard…..I salute all the men and women who have served, especially those who paid the ultimate price to protect our right to live in a free country.

No comments:

Post a Comment