Thursday, October 11, 2018

Dear Daughters

An open letter by an unknown Dad

I would like to apologize for my generation's inability to learn from past mistakes. Once again, our fear and ignorance have empowered hate and greed to marginalize our humanity. We have created what seems to be an unbridgeable divide.

I apologize for my laziness and naivete; believing that good work would prevail without enduring effort.

I know a decree of contrition and shame is pointless unless pain is turned into thoughtful action. So, I use this post to declare my promise that I will do everything I can to empower you, to encourage you and to honor you.

Daughters, force our filtered ears.

Crack open our small minds.

Tell us what you need.

Tell us who you are.

Fathers, listen to your daughters. You may never completely understand her or agree with her, but you must amplify her voice-  let it be strong, clear and uproarious.

In my most desperate moments, I turn to the two of you and see wisdom, innocence, and empathy and I have hope. We have put the burden of a fair-minded world on your shoulders. But I trust those shoulders will stand side by side with other shoulders - of every orientation, race, creed, and color - and your uncompromising spirit and innate sense of equality will do what we could not.

We, as a species, need a course correction. I believe you are that change. I can only that - the future is female.

I love you.

Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment