Thursday, June 4, 2020

The End of A Tradition

                                                 Convict Lake 

By kiki

For me, a family tradition that started in the mid-1960s because of age and health issues has ended. I've recognized that aging closes the window of physical strength (and perhaps mental acuity) to travel the Sierra. 

We started a tradition of going trout fishing on the last weekend of April, the Eastern Sierra trout season's opening weekend. Memories of those times; I will always cherish: Those memories create sadness and gratitude for the times I've had. 

I now view every season as one more clip from the ribbon of time that I wished I had left to be with my boys. For me now, my one hope is to one day know that all of my sons and my two adopted sons, Camper Mike and Pinche Mijo, AKA Rico, are together up in the Eastern Sierra wetting a 4-pound test line in one of the many pristine lakes or creeks that are in abundance in the Sierra. - I don't know if I deserved it, but I would like them all to drink a beer in my honor. And so, with teary eyes and a heavy heart, this old fisherman bid farewell to God's Country, the Eastern Sierra, and to all of my boys, I say, "have a great day of fishing, and I love you all."


                                          Independence Creek

4 comments:

  1. Hey Kiki,

    Not sure you remember me but i posted on boxing forums cbz, esb as scribbs and we traded a couple of posts. Always found your posts entertaining. Just stumbled over a profile of Frankie from 2006 and remembered you. Sorry you have health issues and cannot go on the family trip. I also have some health issues but quite a bit younger than and sucks when cannot go or do what we like to do. Looking good for an old timer. All the best to you and the family

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be honest and say that I don't really remember you, though the "scribbs" kinda ring a bell.

      Delete