Thursday, March 8, 2012

Tony Baltazar v Robin Blake

By kiki

At the time of Tony’s fight with Robin Blake, Bob Arum was still based in New York City. His main man in Las Vegas was Mel Greb. My dealings for the fight were with Greb, who was a hard guy to deal with.

We made the fight over the phone, but I had to go to Vegas to sign the contract. Mel wanted me to fly out of Ontario Airport, on their dime, of course, sign the contract and fly right back home. I told him no that I would drive on Saturday, three weeks before the fight. I told him to get me a room at the Showboat, and that I wanted $500 to play the slots, he barked, but I got what I wanted.

Saturday morning, three weeks before the fight, I drove to Vegas on Connie’s new 1984 Z28 Camaro, made the trip in about four hours. When I got to Vegas, there was a room waiting for me at the 'Boat; after checking in, I called Mel, told him I was at the 'Boat, he said that he would meet me at the coffee shop within an hour.

We met, and Mel hands me the contract to sign, well, I am no lawyer, but I could see that everything we had agreed on was not on the contract. The money for the fight was good, but the 5 rooms for five days, five round-trip tickets from Ontario Airport, meals for five people for five days, 5k for training expenses, Frankie Baltazar's fight on the card were not on the contract when I told Mel that I wanted all that on the contract, he told me to sign the contract, and that everything would be taken care of, I refuse to sign the contract until he added an initial all that we had agreed upon when he did. He handed me a check for 5k and the $500 cash to play with. I signed the contract.

On the Saturday before the fight, I drove Tony, Frankie, Bobby, and Herman Montes, who we had hired as a sparring partner for Tony, to Ontario Airport. I paid for the plane tickets out of pocket. After the fights, when we got paid, I was still out the five hundred for the plane tickets; I hit Bob Arum, he told me to see Mel Greb about it. I told Mel that I still had five C's coming for the plane tickets. He brought out a roll of hundred dollar bills and handed me four C's; I told him it was five C's, not four that I had coming, “take the four,” Mel said to me, I said to Mel “Mel, either you give me the five C' or I’ll take all your money from you” Mel was a little guy...LOL! He gave me the five C's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment