Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day weekend 2013




                                   
                              (At the steps of my old high school)



By kiki


Sunday of the 2013 Labor Day weekend, I said to Connie, "Babe, let’s get out of the house" She wanted to know where we were going. So I told her, "where ever the car takes us," She said, okay.

As we were getting into the car, she told me, "drive nice, or I'm getting off."

We had not traveled more than two blocks when she started with her passenger seat driving "watch out for that car!" damn! The car was a block away!!

I then told Connie, "listen, you keep up with your passenger seat driving, I'm going to jump out of the car while it's moving, then you can jump onto the driver’s seat and drive" that was the end of her passenger seat driving.

 (In the late 1940s, this old building used to be a Mom and Pops store. The owners used to show movies one night a week at the store. My paternal grandparents, Grandma Lupe and Grandpa Francisco took my older sister, Rachel, and me to see the movies.)

We drove to Pico, Montebello, Simons, East Los Angeles, back to Montebello, where we stopped and had Connie's car washed at one of those funeral fundraisers.


                            
                     (Connie’s car getting washed at a funeral fundraiser)

We stopped at my old high school, Montebello High School, and the old swimming hole...Shot pictures at most of our stops

                               (The Montebello swimming hole)

                             
(Connie’s scarfing on a great chicharrón burrito at Pico Park)

 Our second to last stop was at Vargas's for two of their great chicharrón burritos.



(Had I see this hole in the wall bar just around the corner from Vargas’s before we scarfed up the chicharrón burritos at Pico Park, you can bet the outhouse we would have scarfed up the burritos there with a couple of cold ones)


Our last stop was at Sunset Liquor for a six-pack of Coors beer. Coors brought back the small bottles.

2 comments:

  1. thanks Frank for the great memories. While listening to some music by The Stylistics. Brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous,

      Memories are great. They’re your being. Without memories you’re nothing, because it would be like you hadn’t lived at all.

      Everything we do, everything we say are memories we are leaving behind, memories we leave to family, friends, and yes, foes too, for good or bad, to be remember from. So keep on making memories!!

      Delete