Monday, November 11, 2013

Veterans Day

By kiki

Today, Veterans Day, we salute all the men and women who have serviced, especially those who paid the ultimate price to protect our right to live in a free country.

I would like to honor the service of some uncles of mine, and others, who served in the great war, WWII, the Korean War, the Vietnam war, and some who are still serving today. Unfortunately, most, if not all of the WWII vets are now gone - Some uncles were by marriage.

                              The Departed Who Served in WWII


Ray "Rata" Gonzalez From Pico, Ca: (uncle by marriage) Rata, who served in the Philippines, was one of my uncles; who when I was a young teenager would take me to the fights.


Ralph Adame from Pico Ca: Ralph was my mom's brother. Ralph served in the European Theater. While serving in Italy, he married a young girl, Tina. A son, Tony, was born in Italy to Ralph and Tina.


Pete Soto from Rivera, Ca: (uncle by marriage) Pete saw action in the European Theater. He fought in Germany and at the Battle of the Bulge. Thanks to my cousin Becky Ybarra (Pete's daughter) for the info.

Florentino "Melon" Baltazar from Simons, Ca: was my dad's brother, Melon, as he was called, served in the European Theater. Melon was awarded the Purple Heart while serving in Europe.

Moses "Toddy" Juárez from Pico, Ca: (uncle by marriage) I don't know anything about Toddy's service to our country. I was the ring bearer on Toddy's marriage to my aunt Lupe.
                                                    
                                         Magdaleno Baltazar
                                                Simons, Ca. 
 Mag was my dad's brother. Mag, a WWII vet, is going through some hard times (health-wise) lately but is still with us at age 93. Mag was awarded the Purple Heart while serving in North Africa. Mag, I believe is the Baltazar's last living link to WWII
(Mag, since this was written, has passed away)

                                                       Post-WWII

 Jesus Melendez from Simons, Ca: Jesus was my dad's first cousin. Jesus served in the Korean War in the early 1950s. Jesus, who was a few years older than me, was my hero growing in Simons. I loved to hear him sing


My Tio Tony Adame, my mom's brother, from Pico, Ca., served in the Air Force during the Korean war. Uncle Tony and his wife Carmen live in Las Vegas.


My cousin Phillip Baltazar from la Puente, Ca. son of my Tio Magdaleno Baltazar served in the Navy during the Vietnam war. Phillip now lives in the South Bay.



 Big thanks to my sister-in-law Pat Baltazar's children, Eddie, Amanda, and Andy, who are presently serving, or who have served.

                                              Last, But Not Least

 Big thanks to my one only brother, Mando Baltazar. Mando served in Vietnam. Mando, who served two tours in 'Nam on his return home, joined the Los Angeles County Sheriff Department. Mando retired in 2006 after serving over 30 years in the department. Mando and his wife Pat are living comfortably in the mountains of Wrightwood.

                                               Mando Baltazar
                                                     Pico, Ca.
 Due to the age difference, Mando and I never got to do things that most brothers do together, like stealing hubcaps. But we made up for it in later years. Mando was born in 1950, the year I turned 14 years old, and while Mando was being born, I was being subdued by an older girl. Ah! For the good times!!! Love you, bro!!!

Big thanks to all the Veterano's who have served and to those who are serving as we speak. 

"Today, we are in gratitude to all of them for their unselfish gallantry. It is their courage that makes America what it is "- Maria Chacon

No comments:

Post a Comment