Monday, September 1, 2014

Jo Jo Torres vs Stan Ward

By kiki


In spring of 1973, the Southern California Coaches and Managers Association and I took a Los Angeles amateur boxing team to the state Capital, Sacramento, for a box-off against their local champs. Our heavyweight was a part-time amateur boxer, Jo Jo Torres, whom's life ambition was to be a playboy. But for the Torres vs. Ward fight, it was, for the most part, a forgettable trip in which we lost 7 out of 10 fights. When JoJo found out he was fighting Ward, who was known to be the best amateur heavyweight in California, if not the best in the country, I could see it in his eyes that he would've rather be dancing some salsa at the Zenda Ballroom in L.A. then in a boxing ring in Sacramento. 

                                                   The fight

In the first round, Jo Jo went down from what seemed like a grazing right hand. Down on one knee, he kept looking at the canvas as the referee counted. I could see that he wasn’t going to get up, even though he could have. As the ref was about to count nine, I jumped in the ring and stopped the fight to help him save face. As soon as I jumped in the ring, Jo Jo jumped up and asked me: “why did you stop the fight? I was going to get up”  “of course you were,” I said. As we were flying back home, he kept telling anyone on the plane that would listen, “I was going to get up” Of course he was! 

No comments:

Post a Comment