Saturday, August 22, 2015

Charles Laughton

By Kiki

Quasimodo


On the TCM channel, Connie and I watched the 1957 movie 'Witness For The Prosecution' starring Tyrone Power and Charles Laughton et al.. And we both said simultaneously, "remember the night Laughton was sitting behind us at the fights" Man! Talk about an old married couple thinking alike!!. 

Circa 1957, Connie and I were at the Hollywood Legion Stadium for the Pajarito Moreno/Tommy Bain fight. We were about 7-8 rows from the ringside for the new Mexican sensation KO artist Pajarito Moreno's Los Angeles debut. Sitting behind me was "Quasimodo" Charles Laughton had gained fame playing Quasimodo in the 1939 movie 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame.' 

As the first fight was about to start, Quasimodo tapped me on my shoulder and asked me, "Who do you got" I answered him, "The guy in the black corner" "a dollar; I'll take the guy in the white corner" I am not a gambler. Still, I wasn't about to lose a chance to bet with Quasimodo. So we waged the small bet. 

For the rest of the fights, we waged a dollar a fight, He bet the white corner, and I bet the black corner. I don't remember who came out a dollar or two ahead... I love to reminisce about the old days.

2 comments:

  1. Oh boy a new story and what a great one! Haha I was able to imagine Laughton and you. What a life Don Kiki. As always...so fortunate to have "met" you......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hank, it was great to have met you too...It was definitely a memorable night for Connie and me. Don't get to gamble with Quasimodo every night, Lol!!. We never did see Quasimodo again.

      Delete