Saturday, September 12, 2015

Boxing: The Way It Was And The Way It Is

By kiki


The last few times I went to a boxing show, I felt like something was missing. Why didn’t it feel the like the old days? What was missing? I looked around, and I didn’t see anybody smoking cigars. Instead, some were smoking weed. The fighters and fans in attendants were not dressed to the nines in suit and ties. Most of the women were not dressed in short dresses and high heels, and the ones dressed to the nines were not waltzing up and down the aisles to wolf whistles.

 The gamblers section was missing. And the fighter that fought those nights? Some could fight, but most couldn't, but putting that aside. Most came in the ring looking more like wrestlers than boxers. Some with masks on, some wearing what looked like tennis shoes.. And like that great Righteous Brothers song: “You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin'” I’ve lost the love I had for the boxing game, okay, maybe not all the love, as I still watch a few fights on TV, but enough that it keeps me from attending boxing shows anymore. I yearn for those smoke-filled arenas.

No comments:

Post a Comment