Sunday, April 8, 2018

Haircut and Greasy Menudo

By kiki

Even though I have not been feeling chipper lately (old age is really getting to me), I nevertheless drove this morning to Daniel's Hair Studio in Montebello for a cut and comb (I was long overdue). I started feeling hunger pains as Dan was working his magic. - I think that my imaginary friend Beto was also hungry because as Dan was cutting around my bad ear, he whispered in my good ear, "I need some menudo, dude, I need to cure this hangover" So I told Beto that as soon as Dan was done, I would find us a menudo joint. At that, Dan asked me, "did you say something?" I didn't answer him - It has been a while since I've had menudo. My La Indiana Friday morning's menudo runs are no more. I stopped doing the La Indiana menudo runs when the people that run La Indiana, in their good wisdom, changed the menudo recipe. We found a joint in El Monte. It was a nondescript joint on Durfee; I don't know if it's street, avenue, or blvd. We went in and ordered menudo, Beto also wanted a beer, but I nixed that real fast. Was the menudo good? No! It was probably the worse menudo I have had in my many years of eating the stuff. It was really greasy, and they make it without pata. The first thought that came to my head when I saw the menudo was 'no wonder they call us greaser' Beto ate some of his menudo, and I left mine almost untouched. Walking out, I told Beto the menudo was too greasy, and he said, 'greasy, and no pata makes for a bad menudo, but I ate mine because I have a hangover' Maybe I needed a hangover too!


No comments:

Post a Comment