Saturday, June 2, 2018

Ernesto Adame Jr.

By kiki

Thanks to Facebook, I have reconnected with my cousin Ernesto Adame Jr...Ernie and I haven’t seen each other in about 35 years; the Last time we saw each other was around 1980 when I visit him at his then home in San Jose, CA; we were still young men then, now both of us are old geezers…Circa 1980: Connie, my late boxing partner John Martinez and I were driving home from an amateur boxing tournament that was held in Sacramento, and as we got near to Stockton via HWY 99 I remember that Ernie’s brother, Amador, lived in Stockton. I took the first exit that would take me into Fat City, and as we were driving on the off-ramp, I spotted a gas station that had some phone booths; remember the old phone booths? You are old if you do! I pulled into the gas station and parked by the phone booths hoping that Amador’s phone number was listed; it was, so I drop a dime on Amador; he answered, and I told him where I was at, and he said, “don’t move from there, I’ll be there in three minutes” He showed up in about three minutes, give or take a few seconds. We followed Amador to his house, where we got reacquainted with his family. While visiting Amador, he suggested that we visit Ernie in San Jose “let’s go, we’ll follow you,” I told Amador. We had a great time getting reacquainted with Ernie, Amador, and their families.

Fast forward to 2016, Amador now lives in Mexico, and Ernie lives in Tracy, Ca. and since reconnecting on Facebook, Ernie and I have talked on the phone couple of times. I invited him to join us on our annual trip to the June Lake Loop for the opening day of the trout fishing season in late April, and I am happy to say that he accepted, and he said that maybe his son Ernie will join us too. After all, these years that have gone by, it will be great to see my cousin Ernie again.

No comments:

Post a Comment