Sunday, May 22, 2022

David Benavidez vs. David Lemieux, & Canelo Alvarez

 By kiki

Connie and I watched the Benavidez/Lemieux super middleweight fight last night. It was a lopsided fight from the get-go. Young Benavidez won by a third-round TKO; he was too big and strong for the 33-year-old shop-worn former middleweight champion Lemieux. Rumors have it that Mexican superstar Canelo Alvarez has turned down 40+ million dollars to fight Benavidez, and after watching Benavidez last night, I can understand why. Alvarez has won world titles in two or three weight divisions (with so many weight divisions nowadays and 4 or 5 champions in every division, it's hard to keep track of all the champions). In his last fight, Alvarez lost a lopsided battle to Dmitry Bivol for the Russian's world light heavyweight title.

Benavidez is a good fighter who, in my humble opinion, would be too good, big, and strong for Alvarez. I think that Benavidez would stop Alvarez in the middle/late rounds. In my opinion, Alvarez is a good but not a great fighter; I have always said that he is too mechanical, and I believe that he is as good today as he will ever be. Benavidez is the better fighter of the two, but I also feel there is room for improvement. In last night's fight, I liked how he jumped on Lemieux when he had him hurt in the first round, but I didn't like how he went about it; Connie, too, didn't like it. "He's kind of wild in there; he needs to learn how to faint to place his punches," she said.

But that being said, I would love to see a Benavidez/Alvarez fight in September during the Mexican holiday day. I'm not sure what the holiday is about; all I know is that we drink lots of tequila on those days. My son James will be more than happy to pay the PPV fee if they fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment