Thursday, November 12, 2015

A Glass of Wine

By kiki


Why do wine drinkers make such a big deal of drinking a glass of wine? - One time, many summers ago, we, my brother Mando and friends, were on a weeklong motorcycle trip, and one night on that trip, we found ourselves getting wasted at Fat City, a bar in Old Sacramento. While we were getting wasted, a dude sat on an empty stool beside me. As he was seated, he asked the bartender for a glass of some kind of wine, but he told the bartender, "let me see the glass before you pour the wine" The bartender brought a wine glass to the dude, and the dude proceeded to check the glass against a light. Then, shaking his head, he told the bartender, "no good, there is a small water spot on the glass; get me another one" the bartender did so, and the wine drinker went through the same ritual with the second glass; this time, he okayed the glass. 

After the bartender had poured the red wine and after he had smelled the wine, the dude lifted up the glass of wine against the same light he did the empty glasses; then swirled and smelled, and smelled and swirled the wine, and all the time this dude is acting like a pompous ass I was thinking to myself 'dude, drink that freaking wine.'
 
Being close to being four sheets to the wind, I said aloud what I was thinking: I said, "dude, drink that freaking wine!!" The pompous ass looked at me. He said," well, in all my days, I have never" he never finished his sentence because he walked out, leaving his wine on the bar; I looked at the wine and said, "can't let this wine go to waste."

No comments:

Post a Comment