Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Rest in Peace: Della Gomez

By kiki




"The circle of Life' we're born, we live and we die...And somewhere in between we make memories, touch people’s lives and hope that in the end we are remembered in a good way" – kiki

Our dear friend, our comadre, Della Gomez completed her circle of life yesterday (11-2-15). Della went to join our Lord with her family around her and she is now rejoicing with her loved ones who were waiting for her with open arms. Her daughter Yolanda and son Richard known affectionately as Baby and Gordo, are now back in her arms.

Della in completing her circle of life lived, touch many people live’s, made some great memories and is remembered fondly by those whom lives she touched.

Happy memories of Della

Della and I first cross path in 1952 - While walking south on Lexington Rd. from Pico to the Montebello Gardens to catch the bus I would walk by her as she waited for the school bus (El Rancho High School) in those cold 1952 fall mornings at the corner of Lexington Rd. (now Paramount Blvd) and Beverly Blvd. – Della would smile at me and I would smile back, but never a word was spoken between us, we were both shy, I guess...In December of the same year I bought a car and was now driving to Montebello High School, thus, I didn’t get to see much of Della after that….In 1953 having lived a short time in Pico (moved in, 1952) I started to make friends with some of the Pico guys, one of them was Richard Gomez AKA Goma. I soon found out that Richard’s girlfriend was Della. Time went by really fast, as time has a habit of doing so when you are young and having fun and soon we were in 1954. Having met Connie in April of that year and devoting all my attention to her, I didn’t get to see much of Richard and Della for some time. Connie and I married in December of ’54 and Della and Richard married around the same time, I don’t remember who married first, though. Somewhere in time we started getting together as married couples. We went nite clubbing together, and we visit each other’s homes as the kids started to arrive. Connie and I were asked to baptize their daughter Debbie, which we were more than happy to do so - we were now comadre’s and compadre’s. But in later years with the task of raising kids we kinda drifted apart and we haven't seen much of each other in some years now, I am sure that's a regret we all have. 




My most fond memory of Della was the night she and Connie got smashed on a new wine that was the craze of the young crowd, I am sure the older crowd was also indulging in said wine. Della and Richard had come over on a Friday night to our place to have a few beers, well, the girls were in no mood for beer, they said they wanted something else, so Richard said to me “let go to the liquor store” on the way to the store Richard mention this new wine everybody was drinking “Thunderbird” so we bought a bottle like the one on the picture. The girls didn’t waste any time in doing the bottle in, “we want another bottle” they said, so Richard and I went back to the store and bought them another bottle of Thunderbird. They wiped that one out too in record time. The next day they were sicker than a dog, at least Connie was because she utter those famous words “never again will I drink”


To our compa Richard, our goddaughter Debbie and siblings, Yvonne and Danny, Connie and I sent you our deepest sympathy…Love you all...

No comments:

Post a Comment