Saturday, December 7, 2019

Eerily Quiet

By kiki

Yesterday morning, it was around 4:00, or was it around 5:00? Either way, I was sitting out on the front porch before the sun came out talking to the cats that I feed every morning, and no, they don't back to me: it's a one-way conversation. As I was spouting out my bullshit to the cats, I noticed how eerily quiet the block was. It was deserted and void of any human activity: there was no one to be seen but the cats, not even Louie The Walker was walking (Louie likes to walk in the dark wee hours) the avenue. Then it dawns on me that that's how early Christmas mornings have been on the block for the past 30 or so years, eerily quiet, deserted, and void of any human activity. In those early Christmas mornings of yesteryear, you would see boys and girls riding their new scooters and bikes while trying not to run over the older boys and a tomboy, or two, throwing around their new footballs; the avenue was their football field. Every generation has their new toys, but I think the toys of yore were better for the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment