Saturday, December 7, 2019

The Old Champ

By kiki

Yesterday I received a phone call from an ex-world boxing champion; who will go unnamed here. The champ was calling me to ask if I knew people in the movie industry. The champ who had called me some years back with the same question won the WBC world lightweight title in Los Angeles back in the '70s; he wanted to know if I knew anyone in the movie industry that might be interested in buying his life story. I told the champ that at one time, I did know some Hollywood people but that they couldn't now help him because they were long dead. I didn't know how to tell my friend that it would be hard finding anyone in the movie industry to make a movie of his life story, being that he had three strikes against him: one, he is Mexican, though he had his greatest success in Southern California rings, two: his reign as a champion was very short, third, he was never a household name.

I named him the last three boxers who, in the previous 15 years or so, have had their life stories made into movies, and then I asked him, "what did those three fighters have in common?" After he had thought it over a few minutes, he answered me, "I see what you mean" I wished him well before we ended the call.    

No comments:

Post a Comment