Friday, December 13, 2019

Sharing Birthdays with Friends and Rekindle Old Friendships

By kiki


                                                  kiki & Connie

On December 13, 2023, Connie and I will celebrate our 69th wedding anniversary, and I will also celebrate my birthday (87 long years). - I won't be alone in celebrating a birthday or anniversary on the 13th, as I share my birthday (December 13, though different years) with 2 very dear friends and one cousin.

                                              Lucy Salais

Lucia Salais Gray, AKA Lucy Salais, is a dear friend I met in the early 1950s during the piscas (fruit picking) days. Lucy and I share a birthday (different years). Truthfully, Lucy and I had one date: in the late summer of 1954, I took Lucy to the drive-in in Hollister, CA. I don't remember the movies we watched, but I remember getting a ticket for loud pipes as we cruised Hollister's main drag, about 5 blocks long. And that might be generous. Lucy and I reconnected on Facebook but have not seen or spoken in person since 1954. - Happy Birthday, my dear friend!


                                       Joe and Linda Casella

Bob Smith, AKA Joe Casella, and I met on Facebook in Facebook's early years, and even though we have not yet met in person, we have become close friends, well, as close as you can become without meeting in person. Joe and I were both born on December 13, though a few years apart, but not many, as Joe is, like me, long in the tooth. Like Connie and I, Joe and his beautiful wife Linda also married on December 13, again a few years apart. - Happy Birthday, my Brother, and a Happy Anniversary to you and your beautiful Linda!


                                               Mario Adame

Mario Adame is my maternal cousin. Mario, too, was born on December 13, but more than a decade after me. Because of our age difference, Mario and I were never really close; he is closer to my Brother Mando (they are about 3 months apart in age). Besides being close in age, they also have another thing in common: they were cops (me? I was a wannabe hoodlum). The 3 of us are now retired from our chosen professions. (they don't bust people anymore, and I don't steal hubcaps anymore) Mario lived in Wrightwood, a hamlet in the Southern California mountains. I need to find out where he hangs his hat nowadays - Happy Birthday, Cuz!  

Thanks to Facebook and other social websites, we have made new friends and rekindled old friendships with friends not seen or heard of in decades.

2 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you have shared, Frank. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete