Thursday, August 28, 2014

Just The Facts Ma’am, Just The Facts


By kiki

Back in the early '50s in Los Angeles County, not sure if it was the same in all of California; when a teenager under 18 years old received a traffic ticket, he/she didn't have to go to traffic court and pay a fine. Instead, they had to go to a California Highway Patrol office with a parent and have the riot act read to both. Before I turned 18 in 1954, I was a frequent visitor to the California Highway Patrol office on Vermont St. off the 101 (Hollywood Freeway).

When the TV cop show 'Dragnet' was popular, I had to make a guest appearance at the CHP office. I was a minor, so I had my pissed-off mom with me; yes, she wasn't too happy with me "you get too many tickets," she would say to me as we drove the Los Angeles freeways in my 1938 Chevy…We were called into an office where a young cop was sitting behind a desk; no sooner had we sat down in front of his desk when he went into his Joe Friday impersonation "just the facts, ma'am, just the facts," my mom looked at me, I looked at my mom. We both had to bite our tongues to keep from laughing. After reading us the riot act, the wannabe Joe Friday suspended my driver's license for 30 days; he did give me a permit to drive back home…Sweet memories of innocence are hard to beat!!
Like
Comment
Share

No comments:

Post a Comment