Thursday, August 21, 2014

Hugging Lampposts

By kiki

I went out for a haircut this morning, and the barbershop was still closed when I arrived, so I sat in the car and read the paper while I waited for it to open. After reading the gossip pages, I got out of the car to stretch my legs as I continued to wait for the barbers to arrive. As the minutes were ticking, I started getting restless, so I leaned on a pole with a handicap parking sign. For a minute, as I leaned against the sign pole, I saw myself back in the long-ago past, hugging a lamppost while slightly intoxicated. I used to have this thing about trying to keep lampposts from falling down...I got my haircut, walked out, and saw that the handicap sign was still standing...I often wonder if the lampposts I kept from falling down still light up….Sweet memories!! Connie reminded me that the Jimtown car club was named "The Lamplighters" I don't have any dear memories of the Lamplighters as they would run me out of Jimtown when I would visit some of their homegirls. I still remember the dirty looks I would get from the club members as I would pass by Blackie's, a hamburger stand the club used as their clubhouse. But I survived the dirty looks to marry a Jimtown girl; Connie was that girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment