Monday, December 2, 2013

R.I.P. Magdaleno Baltazar





                                                    By kiki



Today, 12-2-13, we lost the last of Francisco and Guadalupe (née Melendez) Baltazar children, Magdaleno Baltazar, who was a World War II combat veteran and recipient of the Purple Heart passed away peacefully this morning. Our war hero who saw action in North Africa where he was wounded, was surrounded by his family as he left us to join his parents, Francisco, and Guadalupe, and siblings, Aurelio, Eulalia, and Florentino, in eternal life. And last but not least he will be reunited with his beloved wife of many years, Senovia. Our deepest condolences to Tio’s family and friends…We love you and we’ll miss you, Tio.


Tio Magdaleno called me on Friday afternoon, 11-29-13, and told me that his doctor had stopped by his house that morning and told him that he only had a few days left. He sounded good as we talk for about 5 minutes, but he did say that he was having a hard time breathing. But what do you say to a person who calls you to say a final goodbye? I was lost for words. I called him on Saturday and again I was lost for words, I just couldn’t find the words to say goodbye. After a few minutes we hung up, I knew then that that was going to be the last time I would talk to my beloved Tio….R.I.P  



Top row far right: Pops smoking a roll 'em up. Front row far right: Tio Magdaleno
1937

6 comments:

  1. Kiki, my condolences for you and your family. I know it is hard to find the right words, but I know your uncle loved you and knew how much you loved him to make him want to call. I know I was in the same position with my best friend Kate when she called me to say goodbye. She was strong and seemed happy, and when I cried and told her I was sorry, she knew it was from the heart and said she was not afraid and that she lived a good life. I know your Tio Magdaleno felt the same way, because he called to say goodbye. He loved you and knew you loved him also and felt his life was complete. Funny how I have a mental picture of a young boy sitting in front with all those workers from Simon Brickyard. God bless you Kiki and I will pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maria for your beautiful words.

      Delete
    2. Dear Cousin, Thank You very much for the kind words you have said about my dad. He was the best. I know he loved you and your family very much. Yes, it was very hard to hear he had a couple days left, but they where filled with lots of love, from his children and grand kids. I know my mom was waiting for him, because he was her King and she was his Queen. My daddy will always be special for all of us.
      Thank You Cousin
      Sylvia Baltazar Gonzales.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Sylvia. Our condolences to you and yours..Your dad was like a father to me, and I loved him like a father...I am so sorry that I was unable to go see him in his last days...I did talk to him two days before he passed.

      Delete
    4. Its okay, He knew you where there. He was a brave man, because I know he called a couple of family and friends too say good-bye. Am sure nobody could fine the words to say also. What did he say ? My Valentine doesn't want to work any more :) Love You Cuz. Sylvia.

      Delete